Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ummm...I think you're in the wrong place

Today a man and his son came into my work to get a DH bike they got on eBay worked on. The kid told me what he wanted and walked away to wander. The dad stayed to talk. I took down his info, including his address, and commented on the street he lived on. Said street is on a common lunch ride/weekend ride loop, and sees a lot of cyclists. All of a sudden he stopped the conversation, got all tense and his face clouded over. My stomach dropped. He proceeded to go on a mini rant about all the cyclists and how they took up the whole road and are gonna get killed and they take the corners really fast and his neighbor almost hit one and then turned around in his SUV and chased him down and told him he will run him over the next time he sees him. And it's not just the lunch riders....people ride there on weekends too! <----insert bug-eyed look of exasperation here (I kind of wanted to gasp for dramatic effect...sarcastically of course).

Ummmm....I work in a bike shop. I kind of feel like his rant is along the same lines as going into an animal shelter and ranting about all the kittens and how next time you see one you're gonna kick it. Not a great venue if you're looking for sympathy.

I get that people don't ride responsibly and do stupid things that endanger themselves and others, but I still don't get how people think it's ok to threaten other people with their cars.

And I ride road bikes. On that road. Sometimes with other people. You'll get no sympathy from me.

No comments: